Over the last decade VNII Signal JSC, being the leading designer of artillery fire control systems, has developed the following wheeled and track fire control systems of the third generation for tube and rocket artillery battalion/battery:
- 1V12-3 (Mashina-M), 1V12M-3 (Faltset-M), 1V197 systems (MLTBu chassis);
- 1V126 (Kapustnik-B) and 1V198 systems (BTR-80 and Ural-4320 chassis).
At present VNII Signal JSC modernizes artillery fire control systems being into operation to provide their integration with YeSU TZ single tactical control system. The Institute also designs advanced fire control systems for self-propelled artillery using a single unified command and control vehicle to perform command and control of artillery units and new-formed brigades.
The designed systems provide a complete cycle of automated fire control of a battalion/battery, consisting of four 8-gun batteries (i.e. 32-gun battalion).
Artillery fire control system of new generation ensures time-to-fire of 3 minutes from the move and less than 1 minute from the prepared fire position, day and night combat operation in any weather conditions, automated control of counter-fire maneuver of the artillery unit as a whole and of every single piece of artillery ordnance. Automation provides aiming, laying and fire of every single gun/MLRS CV of the battery.
The above mentioned functions are available due to automated laying and fire control systems (ALFCS), which are specially designed by VNII Signal and mounted directly at a fire weapon.
- Initial orientation (gyrocompass alignment);
- Spotting of initial position by satellite navigation equipment;
- Receiving of target designation and autonomous calculation of fire settings;
- Automated elevation/azimuth laying and laying recovery in case of integration with gun laying drives;
- Operations with digital terrain map displayed by onboard computer;
- Integration with muzzle velocity radar (MVR);
- Easy adjustment without mechanical alignment.
- Indirect fire at the highest fire rate during day and night in any weather conditions, including cases when aiming point is invisible;
- Free SPG position in dispersed fire order of battery guns at the fire position;
- Counter fire maneuver and autonomous calculating of SPG current coordinates at the new fire position;
- Autonomous calculations of indirect fire settings.
The principal component part of ALFCS is a self-orienting gyro course-roll indicating system (SOGCRIS).
SOGCRIS automatically measures gun/cluster of tubes position angles in 3 planes to provide laying and laying recovery of gun/cluster of tubes during firing, fixes orienting direction (azimuth) of a fire weapon directional axis, and keeps azimuth while the ordnance is moving or being moved.
The following ALFCS versions are available:
- ALFCS for combat vehicles of Uragan, Grad, and Smerch MLRS;
- ALFCS for Msta-S SPG and its update versions;
- ALFCS for wheeled tube guns and self-propelled guns.
Combined combat use of FCS and ALFCS improves full prepared fire accuracy by 20-30%, provides 4 to 6-fold reduction of fire preparation time, target hit capability increase by 30-40%, and at least 3-fold increase of artillery unit survivability.