All-Russian Research Institute Signal (VNII Signal) was established in Kovrov, Vladimir Region according to Decree No. 170 of April 19, 1955 signed by D.F. Ustinov, Minister of Defence Industry of the USSR as a branch of TsNII-173 Institute (known today as TsNII AG FGUP) in compliance with Decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR No.2333-12 of November 11, 1954 and the corresponding Decree of the Minister of the Defence Industry of the USSR No. 860 of November 30, 1954 on the design and production of the first Russian gun stabilizers, named Gorizont and Tsiclon, at Plant No. 46 (known today as KEMP JSC).
Grigory Khokhlov, one of the most experienced workers of the defence industry and the former director of Plant No. 46 was appointed to the position of the director of the newly established Institute.
By the end of 1950s the Institute staff fulfilled the task entrusted by the Government to put gun stabilizers into serial production and proved itself to be capable to cope with even more complex tasks.
In 1967 Resolution of Central Committee of the CPSU and Council of Ministers of the USSR No. 609-201 of July 3, 1967 on the design of a new generation of self-propelled artillery was adopted.
The Institute was assigned to design the equipment and tools of automated fire control of new self-propelled guns such as Gvozdika, Akatsiya, Tyulpan, Giatsint, and Pion. The design of such systems in the USSR was an innovation and to the date there practically were no such systems in the world except the Tackfire system designed in the USA.
Due to the growth of the volume of R&D work, novelty and complexity of the most important task of artillery fire control automation, the branch of TsNII AG was reorganized into All-Russian Scientific-Research Institute Signal by the Decree of the Minister of Defence Industry of the USSR No. 157 of April 4, 1968.
Yury Sazykin, a former chief of gyro lab, who proved to be a prominent engineer and a capable leader during R&D and launching the production of a new generation of gyros, was appointed to the position of the director of VNII Signal in 1968.
He also became a chief designer of the first artillery fire control systems. Yury Sazykin was at the head of the Institute for 30 years.